MINI is a brand that always stays on the media. The news about the brand usually concern the new models that are launched in International Motor Shows, spied upcoming models and wins in motorsports. Some other articles talk about the increase of the sales and the support of MINI’s sales to the total BMW Group’s sales. Also, with business report websites announce the intention of MINI to take on more personnel. Finally, the ‘NOT NORMAL’ campaign is praised from some news agencies. Let’s have a closer look on all these news.
MINI Product Range
NEW MINI 2014
In October 18th 2013 the new MINI 2014 was launched. The launch day was coinciding with the 107th birthday anniversary of Sir Alec Issigonis. The new car has been thoroughly described in The MINI Future (Part I): The future is now! and can be briefly described as bigger and safer, and comes with more quality in the interior and LED daytime running lights. The third generation of MINI Hatchback will be in the market in March 2014, while the production of the previous generation has already been halted. The event was captured by many press media of automotive industry.
MINI Hatchback 5-door spied.
As MINI was always a small and 3-door car, the plans from the BMW Group for a 5-door MINI is inevitably in the top news. The test car covered with camouflage was spied a few weeks ago running at the streets and more recent pictures of the car without any camouflage have come to light. The car seems to be longer than the 3-door version, and it is expected to hit the market by the end of 2014 or the beginning of 2015.
MINI John Cooper Works Concept
The new MINI John Cooper Works Concept has been unveiled at the 2014 Detroit Motor Show a few weeks ago. It is based on the new MINI Hatchback, which makes it longer than the outgoing model. Several body modifications have been seen on the model both on the front and the back side of the car. Despite the fact that the car is a concept car, it is very likely that it will be in production soon. The story has been captured by many automotive journalists.
MINI in Motorsports
The Dakar Rally 2014 has been started in 5th of January 2014 and it will finish in 18th of January 2014. It is running across three different countries in Latin America: Argentina, Bolivia and Chile. Until now, three of the total eleven MINI ALL4 Racing are on the top three ranking in the car category. Nani Roma from Spain as the driver and Michel Perin from France as co-driver are currently on the 1st place of ranking. The wins of MINI are monitored by many Motorsports journalists.
The sales of MINI
The sales of MINI reached new peaks in 2013 with a total 303,030 cars been produced and a total increase 1.2% from 2012. This increase the, in conjunction with the increase of the sales of the Rolls Royce, has played an important role in maintaining the BMW Group’s first place against Audi and Mercedes-Benz, who are its main competitors. This fact could not stay away from the business news.
MINI in industrial business news agencies
The production of the next generation MINI has come with a plenty of changes in the production line across the three main plants of BMW Group in the UK. A plan of investments for the three plants has been introduced together with the launch of the MINI Hatchback 2014 in last October, as presented in the production of MINI. Furthermore, the BMW Groups considers taking on apprenticeships in Plant Swindon for a wide range of skills ranging from Human Resources to Engineering. According to Frank Bachmann, Managing Director of Plant Oxford and Plant Swindon:
“Investment in young people is a key part of our development strategy for the plants and it is vital that we attract the very best young talent to ensure the business has the right skills for the future.”
This decision will have a positive impact on both for the young people that seek for a job, the industry itself and the UK economy. This fact is described by the business news.
MINI’s ‘NOT NORMAL’ campaign nominated
The ‘NOT NORMAL’ campaign has been described thoroughly in The Mini Image – An Icon for more than 50 years. The Agency Iris had created a small campaign that run for three weeks, using 5 giant digital posters in Cromwell Road in London to communicate with the MINI driver’s that were passing by. The result was an enhanced engagement of the public with the social media related to the brand and the campaign.
This campaign is nominated from The Guardian for the Best Consumer Campaign 2014. The nomination is a proof of the quality of the brand and the attention it pays on the image and the branding.
You can watch the related video from the following link:
- Gribben, R. (2014) Mini sales help BMW stay ahead [online] available from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/10569892/Mini-sales-help-BMW-stay-ahead.html [15 January 2014] Comments: Details about the increase of the sales of MINI and its impact on the total sales of the BMW Group.
- Vijayenthiran, V. (2013) 2014 MINI Cooper Revealed [online] available from http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1088537_2014-mini-cooper-revealed [15 January 2014] Comments: Details about the new generation of MINI Hatchback.
- Bremner, R. (2013) BMW Produces Last Current Generation Mini Hatchback [online] available from http://www.dealerupdate.co.uk/bmw-produces-last-current-generation-mini-hatchback/ [14 January 2014] Comments: Information about the last second generation MINI Hatchback.
- Szondy, D. (2013) New Mini line unveiled in Oxford [online] available from http://www.gizmag.com/mini-cooper-oxford/29823/ [14 January 2014] Comments: Details and images from the launch of the third generation of MINI Hatchback.
- Sutton, S. (2014) Spy Shots: 2015 Five-Door Mini Cooper S [online] available from http://www.egmcartech.com/2014/01/05/spy-shots-2015-five-door-mini-cooper-s/ [15 January 2014] Comments: Spy pictures and details for the 5-door MINI Hatchback.
- The Guardian (2014) Campaign: MINI NOT NORMAL [online] available from http://www.theguardian.com/best-awards/mini-not-normal [15 January 2014] Comments: Details about the latest NOT NORMAL campaign and the nomination from The Guardian.
- Swindon Advertiser (19-11-2013) BMW announce new technology at Plant Swindon for 2014 MINI [online] available from http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10818799.BMW_announce_new_technology_at_Swindon_plant_for_2014_MINI/ [14 January 2014] Comments: Article about the investments of BMW Group to the UK’s MINI Facilities.
- Moss, R. (2014) Mini JCW concept gets Detroit launch [online] available from http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/detroit-motor-show/mini-jcw-concept-gets-detroit-launch [15 January 2014] Comments: Details about the launch of MINI John Cooper Works Concept in Detroit Motor Show.
- Buckland, R. (2014) Mini boost for auto industry jobs as BMW looks to take on more apprentices [online] available from http://swindon-business.net/index.php/2014/01/14/mini-boost-for-auto-industry-jobs-as-bmw-looks-to-take-on-more-apprentices/ [15 January 2014] Comments: Details about the upcoming new apprenticeships in the BMW Group’s plants across UK.
- Ferreira, G. (2014) Dakar 2014 – Mini Leads the Dakar 2014 Rally [online] available from http://3d-car-shows.com/dakar-2014-mini-leads-the-dakar-2014-rally/ [15 January 2014] Comments: Details about the positions of the MINI in the current Dakar Rally and also images of the currently leading car.
- Ferreira, G. (2014) Dakar 2014 – Mini Rules [online] available from http://3d-car-shows.com/dakar-2014-mini-rules/ [15 January 2014] Comments: Details about the positions of the MINI in the current Dakar Rally and also images of the currently leading car.
- Dakar (2014) Overall ranking at Stage 10 [online] available from http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2014/us/stage-10/rankings/overall-cars.html [15 January 2014] Comments: Details about the positions of the MINI in the current Dakar Rally.